Service Description Exchange 2010 provides an integrated mailbox that allows sharing and collaboration on and off campus. This allows members of the University to communicate with each other and external collaborators.
- Provision of a HYMS email address (firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com) and mailbox
- On site and remote access (Outlook email client, OWA web client, ActiveSync mobile device client etc.)
- Ability to share mailbox items and collaborate with others
Exchange mailbox users get:
- 1 GB of default email storage for students and clinical staff; 1.4GB for staff.
- SPAM filtering (with degree of customer control)
- Virus scanning
- Integration with HYMS Directory/Global Address List
Exchange users with the Outlook desktop client also get:
- Recovery of deleted items up to 31 days via Outlook Client
- Shared calendars
- Out-of-office and server-side email rules
- Cache mode for mobile users, allowing offline access
- Distribution lists
- Email and calendaring is available to all members of HYMS
- Option to have email forwarded to partner institution address (University and NHS)
- 24 x 7 x 365
- At risk period 18.00 - 20.00 every Tuesday for essential maintenance.
- Planned maintenance to be publicised in advance of outage.
Level of Service
- Mailboxes are backed up on a regular basis for disaster recovery purposes only. Exchange’s Recover Deleted Items functionality allows users to restore mail deleted items themselves.
- Staff and postgraduate research students have the ability to use the full Outlook client, whereas undergraduate and postgraduate taught students are limited to Outlook Web Access and ActiveSync on mobile devices.
- Other mail clients may work but support for them is limited.
Support and Documentation
- In depth documentation on email clients and connectivity is available from the Email tab above.
- Additional support is available via the IT Service Desk on 01904 325140 or email here
Provisioning: Members of HYMS are automatically provided with a HYMS mailbox when they register for an IT account unless they have provided a forwarding address. The email address is constructed based on name information from the official HR or student record (SITS).
Spam filtering control:
Email address changes:
- To request a change in the allocated email address, contact the IT Service Desk in the first case. In general, changes will only be made based on HR or student record data but the IT Service Desk can advise on this.
- The IT Service Desk is automatically informed of surname changes. They will contact the user involved and ask if email address should be changed to match the new name (old address will be retained, forwarding to new address).
It is the user’s responsibility to ensure that they follow the acceptable use policies
Users are encouraged to actively housekeep their mailbox.